welcome to goss!
Countless intangible veils separate all universes from each other - and from ours. The fabric of space and time is at its faintest, like gossamer, at these proximate points we share with all other realities. Interdimensional castaways are drawn to safety and arrive on a train in our core world, Hialao. The train system also serves as our lifeblood by connecting five other worlds to Hialao.

With the dimensional displacements not yet showing signs of slowing, and research forever futile on how to leave (besides those who simply vanish, falling back through the invisible curtain), it's impossible to say who might arrive and how they might shape this fragile series of lands, eras and cultures. Good luck out there.

Our application template was made by Juliannacodes exclusively for Gossamer. Thanks to kismet for the sidebar cookie script. Icons courtesy of Ionicons. Banner art by Pixiv user ID #122500. Free pixel icon resources sourced from various places such as pvstels, 7soul1, The Infamous Bon Bon, neonvamp, and more.

Site premise was formed by the original staff of Gossamer - Alida, Prince, Rebecca, Morgan, and Tera, who created the dimensions of Elestis, Hialao, Parse, Barrows, and Wildewall, respectively. Additionally, Tethya was the result of a site event and was created by a former member, Velvet.

Gossamer's genre-based multi-world concept must not be duplicated or mirrored elsewhere without express permission from the current owner and staff. Member-made content belongs to its respective creators. DO NOT RIP, INSPIRE, RECREATE, OR STEAL ANY PART OF THIS SITE.

GOSSAMER
PANFANDOM ANIMATION & ILLUSTRATION . JCINK PREMIUM . 3 YEARS OLD
KEEP IT CLASSY, FOLKS!

for a limited time only • please register your accounts in all capital letters

Add Reply
New Poll

Us Experiments Have to Stick Together, Tag - Shadow the Hedgehog
I KNOW, I KNOW. BUT TWO WRONGS DON'T MAKE A RIGHT. SHE HITS YOU, YOU HIT HER. SUDDENLY WE’RE ALL HITTING EACH OTHER, THEN WE’LL ALL BE RIGHT BACK WHERE WE STARTED.
The Powerpuff Girls
Human
Vigilante
Tiger (She/Her)
She/Her
Buttercup had learnt what this river thing was full of now.

She had wondered what the substance was as it clearly wasn't water, she might not have been as good at science as Blossom but it was blatantly obvious it was different. While she could have found out a lot earlier, she didn't want to pose the question to her house mate Zim. That would just have made her look weird and stupid, because now that she knew what it was, Buttercup felt a little bit silly. Where did she think all their power came from, duh! So now that she was aware of just how important this place was, Buttercup had decided that she would patrol there for a little bit, just to make sure that nobody was going to try and steal any of the precious fuel that the city needed to keep running. When she'd asked someone about the nectar, they'd told her that people from the slums tried to steal it quite a lot. Well not on her watch!

As she floated about the area, making sure to keep her gaze trained on the domes which encased the nectar, stopping it from being stolen right away, Buttercup dwelt on how good of a time she was having here. She was working in that sporting goods shop as often as she could, because she didn't like the fact that Zim earned a lot more than she did. She was obviously more talented and could earn more than she was right now, so she put in a lot of extra hours where they were available. While it wasn't hero work, it was kind of nice in it's own little way. Of course she hadn't stopped her patrols in her spare time. People told her that the robots would police the streets, that the detectives would do their jobs and she didn't need to do this, but they couldn't have been more wrong!

Being a hero was in her blood, she couldn't just sit back and let bad guys get away with their dastardly plots just because she was having a good time in other parts of her life. That would be irresponsible. If she could only help one person each night she was out on the streets, then it was time well spent in her mind. Buttercup liked to be able to use her powers to help people out, it was better than just wasting them doing nothing or boring every day things, or worse yet, deciding that she was going to go ahead and become a villain. Ugh, villains were the worst. All they did was hurt other people and what was really bad was that they seemed to enjoy it. The very idea that she could ever use her powers to hurt someone who wasn't a villain made Buttercup feel a little sick inside.

Huffing to herself as the area continued to seem clear of people trying to break into the pipes and steal the fuel, Buttercup continued on with her search. She almost didn't see the figure in the shadows, considering the night had fallen just a little while ago, but her green trail of light she left behind her did a great job of casting light over them so she could see their outline. Well, she'd never seen anyone who looked quite like that before! He...looked like a hedgehog, only taller and fluffier. Buttercup zipped right up close to him, hovering about a foot away as she began to speak;

"What are you doin' here?" she asked with a frown on her face, pointing her finger at the person before her "It best not be any funny business, or you'll have me to deal with!"

us experiments have to stick together
@SHADOW THE HEDGEHOG / 628 / enjoy!
If the world chooses to become my enemy, I will fight like I always have!
Sonic the Hedgehog
Hedgehog/alien hybrid
odd jobber
Catherine (any)
he/him

Dark. That's what it was within the junkyard. So very dark, in fact, that only someone with enhanced vision would be able to see through it - into the depths of the area and see the trailing rivers of nectar. But despite the fact that sight had been stolen for the night time, the whispers still remained of the tales of the energy provided and what it may be able to do if thrust upon the wrong hands. Darkness, then, would not be a deterrent, but in fact an asset for those who wanted to sneak in to steal some for their own usage. After all, no one would be able to uncover them within the depths of night, and the robots would not follow them. While robots did not suffer from the same limitations as the ordinary day-dwelling being, they certainly had a few additional hiccups within their works.

Through the slough did Shadow trudge, drawn in enough by the rumors to be curious enough to investigate the area. Technology naturally made Shadow feel right at home; it activated a dormant sense for the hedgehog, developed when he was grown within the space colony ARK. Computers and gadgets and gizmos lined the walls and his ears became accustomed to the consistent beeping that would result from the computers "thinking", as Professor Gerald Robotnik would often tell him. Computers "think" louder than humans because of how many processes they need to do at once, and computers aren't built to handle so many as well as humans are, he'd said. Whatever they did, it made a low hum that stayed consistently within the background of Shadow's life, so it was almost disconcerting to have that stripped when he finally made it to Earth. It only filled him with greater relief when he found himself on the space colony ARK again for his plot of misdeeds, simply so he could hear the machine powering the Eclipse Cannon in the background in a kind of familiarity that eased a clamp on his stomach he didn't know was there.

It was only natural, then, that Parse brought to him a kind of peace that no other dimension could. And further, it was only natural that Shadow wanted to be well acquainted with his home and even felt like exploring it in the first place. The ease that it brought about made it even easier to think about what may lay within its belly; and in this case, it only made sense that the nectar rumors attracted him as they had. After all, if this fluid ran the whole entire system, it would only benefit him to understand it better. He thought better of stealing it, of course, but he might be able to ask one of the robots there, or maybe go into one of the offices to find a worker who would tell him.

For the time being, though, he allowed himself to be content to watch the flow of the river, appealed by the way the small light glinted off its surface. Despite not being clear like normal water was, it held a kind of mystique to it that begged you to swim in it. Shadow even found himself crouching near it a time or two as the temptation to take his glove off and allow his fingers to run through it hit him, but he held himself back on the principle that it would look like he was a common thief again if he'd gotten caught.

A good thing he'd reconsidered it, too, when a voice from behind him made him stiffen, catching him off guard as the hybrid turned to see...

...a...girl...? A very young teen girl, at that. Shadow frowned; what was she doing here?

Apparently, the girl didn't feel as out of place as she looked, because she didn't waste any time in asking him what he was doing there and...threatening him? Shadow had to bite back a laugh and instead blinked at that. He kind of doubted that this girl was any threat to him, and he showed as much when his shoulders relaxed. Still... That took moxie. Shadow could respect moxie.

It almost reminded him of Sonic and his friends, in a way.

Well, better be forthright and honest. ❝I'm here because I heard rumors about a substance called 'nectar' being in rivulets here,❞ he informed her coolly. ❝I wanted to see it for myself. How about you? It's awfully late; I didn't expect to see anyone else out here.❞ He was hardly going to accuse a thirteen year old girl of theft. And given how jumpy she was on him, he doubted that she would've had the idea to begin with. Maybe she thought she could be a vigilante of sorts for the area.

She was pretty lucky he had no 'funny business' in mind, in that case.

we all want love, we all want honor
nobody wants to pay the
asking price. . .
I KNOW, I KNOW. BUT TWO WRONGS DON'T MAKE A RIGHT. SHE HITS YOU, YOU HIT HER. SUDDENLY WE’RE ALL HITTING EACH OTHER, THEN WE’LL ALL BE RIGHT BACK WHERE WE STARTED.
The Powerpuff Girls
Human
Vigilante
Tiger (She/Her)
She/Her
Buttercup hummed in contemplation, her eyes narrowing as she stared at the hedgehog type creature before her wondering if he was really telling the truth or not. She supposed he might be. After all she hadn't caught him doing anything wrong, he was just out here looking at the nectar, he didn't have any big canisters full of it or anything with him either, so it wasn't as if he had stolen some before she had come across him. While she was still a little suspicious, Buttercup decided that she wouldn't keep on the aggressive stance she had taken when she had first spoken to him. Something she had learnt from her friends while here was that, people often thought aggression meant that she was going to fight them. While she wouldn't be adverse to a little combat practice with anyone, she was always keen to show off her strength after all, she didn't want to make people nervous when they didn't deserve it.

So she altered her stance, keeping her arms loose by her side and bobbing a little closer to the person still hovering above the ground in her normal manner. It was very rare that she actually walked anywhere. Especially while she was here and surrounded by so many strange and unusual people. A girl floating around was the least interesting thing to see!

"Yeah this is where all the nectar is, the thing that powers the city. Looks pretty cool doesn't it?" she asked, totally not finding the fact that she was striking up a conversation in the middle of the night with a strange person she barely knew, in front of a river of an energy source and not too far from a slum full of people who wanted to steal it. Buttercup acted as if this was the most normal thing in the world and neither her tone of voice nor her expression suggested that she was concerned or even mildly suspicious of the person she was talking to. She still was, inside, but considering they seemed to simply be here to admire the lovely scenery, Buttercup thought she might as well talk to them. It was boring flying around here on patrol all by herself.

"It is pretty late but, nobody is gonna come and steal any of this stuff in the middle of the day. Besides, it barely bothers me, sleep is for the weak! There's no time for rest when criminals are sulking about, I've gotta make sure I do my part to keep this nectar in that lake where it belongs." Buttercup announced in a firm and confident tone, emphasised by a nod of her head "I'm Buttercup, by the way. The strongest and the fastest member of the Powerpuff Girls, that was my super hero team back home. But you don't stop being a hero just because you live somewhere else! Nope! So I'm here making sure everything's as it should be." She was a little curious about the person she was talking to, but, right now she was too busy explaining how awesome she was and about her presence here to actually ask any questions.

us experiments have to stick together
@SHADOW THE HEDGEHOG / 534 / enjoy!
Sonic the Hedgehog
Hedgehog/alien hybrid
odd jobber
Catherine (any)
he/him

NOBODY WANTS TO PAY THE ASKING PRICE

Well, that rendered Shadow's assessment correct. She was a vigilante type - self-proclaimed, it seemed, and not only that but she appeared pretty confident about it. Which had the hedgehog raising an eye ridge, honestly; what could she do, when it came down to it, if something did happen here? Not only was she young, but she was alone in the dark. Honestly, if Shadow hadn't been here for a completely innocuous reason, she would have been an easy target for him, an easy threat to take out.

Not that Shadow would have wasted his time fighting a teenage girl. It offered some kind of reminder of Maria anyway, although her disposition didn't reflect Maria's entirely. It became rather abundantly clear to him that she brandished a brash exterior, though whether or not that was backed by an interior of steel to match remained to be determined. At the very least, she did not seem to be intimidated by his presence, but in hindsight, that might not be very surprising given that he was shorter than her, if anything. He certainly became accustomed to wariness within his presence back at home, but here in Gossamer, no one was familiar with him, and to them he was just a short bipedal talking animal, about as threatening as Cream the Rabbit would be to him.

Granted, she certainly carried her own weight and she managed on her own in a fight, but Shadow knew very well that he outclassed her.

Still, Shadow knew better than to underestimate someone even if they might have underestimated him. She certainly appeared to be a teenage girl, but the last time that he made assumptions about someone based upon their appearance, he turned out to be able to not only utilize Chaos Control with a fake Chaos Emerald but managed to outmatch him in speed at least a few times. It would be easy for someone in a similarly small package around the same age to surprise him in that way. Appearances, he knew, weren't everything.

Which was why he remained on guard, even after she lightened hers, keeping her close within his peripheral even as he watched the streaming liquid that he'd come here to observe in the first place. He may have scoffed at her naivety, or perhaps pointed out that that was exactly what the robots here in Parse were for, but he decided that it was neither here nor there. Better not waste words on someone who wouldn't bother to listen to them, nor start any unnecessary conflicts just because he believed there was little actual crime-fighting to be done here. Let her be disappointed by her own situation and the lack of benefit it reaped.

Honestly, if anything interested him about her at all it was the mention of the Powerpuff Girls, obviously a deliberate choice for her to mention and thus, easy to assume it was supposed to mean something if he knew anything about her home dimension. Whether it was a personal childish delusion or a legitimate household name, he'd have to see to investigate for himself. He could gather, for certain, that Buttercup was not from here; after all, she'd advertised as such, and he saw no reason for her to lie about that to a total stranger, if her intention were to manipulate him. She knew nothing about him, as far as he could tell.

He decided, after a moment, that courtesy was in order. ❝I'm Shadow the Hedgehog.❞ He inclined his head slightly. ❝So... If I am to gather, since you mentioned not being home... You were also taken here from your home dimension, yes?❞ That seemed to be the most pressing information to confirm, as it would tell him a good deal about what the purpose of these dimensions could be, or at least place him on the right track.

I DON'T NEED TO BE THE HERO TONIGHT

@BUTTERCUP, thanks for waiting so patiently!

The Powerpuff Girls
Human
Vigilante
Tiger (She/Her)
She/Her
'Cause it makes me that much stronger,

Makes me work a little bit harder, It makes me that much wiser, So thanks for making me a fighter

This guy sure didn't talk a lot did he? Buttercup thought to herself. She had been saying quite a lot and he had just kinda been staring at her while she spoke and she was pretty sure that he wasn't going to comment on most of what she had said. That was alright, she supposed, kind of painted him as standoffish but beyond that it wasn't anything the girl couldn't handle. She was confident and although she had caught the raise of the eyebrow when she had mentioned she was a hero, a crime fighter, she didn't much care at all that he doubted her abilities. If needed Buttercup would happily show him that she was much better than she looked at the hero game, after all, she had been doing it for close to eight years now. That was some major experience that should be respected!

Buttercup was also pretty sure that he wasn't even looking at her for the most part, but was focusing on the nectar which was behind her. There were some really rude people in the world! Geez! Now she supposed she understood what having a conversation with her would have been like when she was younger. This was the kind of stuff she might have pulled when she was still in single digits. Something was interesting her, it wasn't the person in front of her, so they got ignored in favour of the thing that she was genuinely interested in. Seemed simple enough to her but, it had been drilled into her that such behaviour was rude and not acceptable. It had taken a while for it to be accepted but, it had been eventually.

At least she got the guys name in the end, Shadow the Hedgehog. It almost made her let out a little laugh but thankfully Buttercup stifled that with a quick bite to her lower lip. She could have guessed that last part because he certainly looked a little like a hedgehog what with his nose and his spiky hair, but the first part of the name was hardly any better. It just screamed 'edgy' but it definitely matched his colour scheme. Maybe that was why his parents had chosen it in the first place. Buttercup knew that insulting this guy wasn't the best move in a conversation already going nowhere, so she resisted the urge to comment and simply answered his question;

"Mhm that's right. Though you didn't really need to ask that question, everyone here is in the same boat. We all were doin' our thing one day in our home world and then the next thing we knew, bam, we're on that train heading to Hialao." Buttercup explained with a shrug of her shoulders "We all had different places we're from. Anyway, why are you asking? Are you one of those guys trying to find a way to get back home?" she asked, raising an eyebrow of her own.

Sorry it's a bit shorter <3

@SHADOW THE HEDGEHOG
Sonic the Hedgehog
Hedgehog/alien hybrid
odd jobber
Catherine (any)
he/him

Well, she was quick on the uptake, Shadow could give her that. 'One of those guys trying to find their way home' wasn't the most quaint way to put it, but he supposed that was one of his goals. Not necessarily the primary one or even the most important, but it was a goal that he had lurking at the back of his mind. But it certainly perked his interest that she appeared to be distancing herself from that particular role; she asked, specifically, if he was 'one of those guys', and she made no effort to lump herself within that particular category, which forced Shadow to wonder if maybe she really did feel as though she was comfortable and at home here despite her wording of her inelegant arrival to this place.

His eyes gravitated toward the dark sky as he thought of his own world. If there was anything especially disconcerting about this dimension, it'd have to be the lack of stars painting the black blanket that covered it. Even when he existed in space could he see the dots all throughout the darkness, little lights that drew in his attention like a magnet. And yet, they were hidden in the sky now, and it caused an ache of longing within Shadow's chest that he didn't even realize he could feel. Was it homesickness? Shadow didn't have any particular attachment to Earth, not really. Not anything that would make him physically ache, at any rate, as far as he knew. And yet, here he was, reminiscing. Was it coincidence?

He glanced back at Buttercup again, dignifying her with his eyes as a signifier that she really had earned his interest as he responded, ❝Not precisely. I've just been wondering why we were brought here to begin with. Though I would like to know if there is a possibility of returning home. I have an obligation to the place I come from.❞ To protect it. To fulfill a promise that he owed to a dearly departed friend. To prevent the world from burning. He didn't know if he would call it 'home' in the primal sense, but it was in the logical sense and for Shadow that was good enough. He was an artificial being, and whether he 'felt' a sense of belonging or not mattered little to his ultimate purpose that had to be his planet's protection. And so, that was the most accurate answer that he could provide; that he did want to go back, if only because he made a promise.

But that certainly brought him back to thinking about Buttercup, which had him asking, ❝Do you not want to go back?❞ She conveniently left herself out of this part of the equation, of this conversation, after all. That held a weighty implication to it whether she was consciously aware of it or not.

@BUTTERCUP, very late bleh

The Powerpuff Girls
Human
Vigilante
Tiger (She/Her)
She/Her

Makes me work a little bit harder, It makes me that much wiser, So thanks for making me a fighter

Buttercup supposed that it was a sensible thing to wonder about, why they were all brought here. Why was she specifically picked out of all three of her sisters? She would have thought, really, that Blossom would have been picked out of the three of them because she was like the defacto leader of the Powerpuff Girls, however much Buttercup didn't want to admit that. Of course she was the tough and the fast one, she had her skills, but if there was one big guy in charge here picking people he wanted to come over then she wouldn't have picked herself. Blossom probably would have been a better choice. She was trying her best to make this place better for everyone but, in the end of things she often doubted herself, if there was more she could be doing. Stuff that her sisters would do better than her.

Eh, there wasn't anything she could do but wait until they showed up, if they ever did. Buttercup would make the most of what she could do here and continue to try her best, which was all anyone could ask for.

This guy had a habit of talking in a really formal manner which made her feel just a little bit stupid whenever she heard him speak. She was only thirteen and she did have a habit of using slang whenever she would talk because it felt more comfortable for her than speaking in such a posh way - Buttercup was many things, but she would never use that word to describe herself, it just wasn't true. Still though she didn't feel good exactly speaking the way she did, she didn't want this guy to think that she was dumb or something because she wasn't. Sure, Blossom was always the smartest one but, Buttercup could hold her own. She was smart too, street smart, yeah, there was no arguing that.

"Oh an obligation, cool." she responded, sticking her hands into the pockets of her hoodie as she continued talking with the weird hedgehog cat looking guy. Buttercup didn't think he was going to cause her any problems, she wouldn't need to fight him, so she continued to relax herself considering they looked like they were going to settle in for a nice talk. Where she'd continue to make herself look like a scrub but, hey, it was better than flying around in silence all night. "I hope you manage to find a way home then, gotta keep those obligations and all that."

He asked her if she wanted to go back and Buttercup hummed thoughtfully, pressing her lips into a tight line before she answered; "I kinda do and I kinda don't? Like I miss my sisters, we used to do everything together, fight crime and stuff but...Townsville was so quiet and boring, we always used to beat the same bad guys over and over. There was nothin' else to really do. I like it here but I'd like it more if my sisters were here too. Do you get me?" she asked.

Sonic the Hedgehog
Hedgehog/alien hybrid
odd jobber
Catherine (any)
he/him

'Gotta keep all those obligations and all that'? Was that a normal way of speaking? It almost felt as though she was attempting to keep up with his vocabulary - laughable, at best. Shadow was hardly the epitome of social decency, and thus should not be imitated should she be looking for an avenue with which to sound smart. She would be far more successful if she looked to someone as sociable as, say... Sonic for advice on how to integrate well within a community. Then again, this was Parse. Smarter minds probably existed here, and smarter minds often didn't commune well with an active social life, so it was possible bookish speaking patterns existed throughout.

Honestly, Shadow was just surprised that she engaged in this conversation with him for so long. Casual conversation almost felt... Abnormal. The last time he'd had any with anyone, it'd have to be with his friend Rouge the Bat and even she believed it to eventually be a waste of her time and grew bored of the conversation before leaving. He was, in a sense, very "boring". It wasn't that he lacked opinion or that he sided with nothing at all, but he made virtually no attempts to stand out, and a part of him preferred it this way. He always existed best as a follower and not a leader, after all, not a standout example of his species but instead someone who existed merely for others's servitude.

He wondered if she knew. About the manufactured part of him.

Not only did she continue to engage him in conversation, but she parted with personal detail about her sisters, likely part of the Powerpuff Girls group. She spoke of missing them, but finding their previous home to be too ritualistic for her taste. This didn't surprise him; she did appear to be the action-oriented type. The gruff manner to her throat reminded him very much of a tomboy. He hardly kept up with social trends, but that didn't mean he never noticed patterns, and she fell firmly in line with the ones he noticed of the more action-oriented. This in line with her earlier attributing herself as a vigilante only fit better within the kind of character that she portrayed herself as. He could not help but wonder how much of that was legitimate and how much of it was bravado used to puff up her own ego, but he knew better than to doubt someone else's fortitude. The last time he'd done that, the individual surprised him and survived what should have exploded him within space.

Do you get me? Well, that was interesting. Shadow's ears perked at that. Normally people who went into detail like that wanted to talk at him rather than with him to hear his opinion. He had two options now, to validate her opinion or to actually speak of his own. Usually, Shadow behaved as a soft-spoken enforcer to someone else's words, but for once, he was being expected to speak for himself. No one demanded an answer that equated to hers...

How often had he really thought for himself? Certainly he allied himself with justice and benefiting the planet. But... Who was he really doing that for?

How often was it that anyone even gave a damn about what his opinion actually was on a subject to require him to think for himself in the first place?

Realizing it would look strange for him to go silent in response to what, to most, would appear to be a normal question, he attempted to call back on past experience with conversations like these, like... Ones he'd have with a certain someone whose memory still remained foggy within his brain. Did they have a conversation like this before? He didn't know, but he did know what the most logical response to this would be. ❝I can see how having someone familiar around would be better than being alone.❞

He didn't know why his answer, the only one he'd given on impulse in a conversation, made his chest suddenly hurt.

@BUTTERCUP

The Powerpuff Girls
Human
Vigilante
Tiger (She/Her)
She/Her

Okay so, Buttercup hadn't really expected this guy to go completely silent after she spoke. She didn't know if she had said something that offended him but she didn't think so...unless he came from somewhere really boring himself and he liked living there because it was boring. Or maybe he had some siblings that he was missing himself? That was probably it if anything. Lots of people here had close friends or family that they were taken away from by whatever or whoever decided they wanted to bring them here. Buttercup, when she had thought about it, sure hoped that there wasn't a person who was sitting in some big fancy office somewhere viewing everything, plucking people from here there and everywhere in order to bring them here. If there was then that person would probably be very dead if anyone found out about them...a small part of her thought that they might deserve a harsh punishment. If that was what some court ruled, it might be right.

After a little bit the hedgehog cat guy spoke up again and told her that 'he could see how having someone familiar around would be better'. Well she supposed that was a posh version of 'yeah I get you' so she would take whatever she got. He wasn't really a talkative guy she had noted, which wasn't too bad for her to deal with considering she had no problems talking herself. Buttercup was confident enough to keep forging on with the conversation even though she had very little to go on.

If he had gotten all silent because she'd mentioned someone close to him then that was one topic of discussion out of the window, she decided, maybe, it would be better to ask about something good that might have happened to him since coming here instead. Buttercup bobbed a little slower in the air, which was an indication of her unhappiness at the rather spare reply she had gotten even though her words and expression didn't; "But you know we'll make new friends and stuff now that we're here to keep ourselves happy and whatever. Do you have any friends here? Are you new or something?"

rip this is really short but B is not the introspective gal

@SHADOW THE HEDGEHOG
Sonic the Hedgehog
Hedgehog/alien hybrid
odd jobber
Catherine (any)
he/him

If Buttercup was giving Shadow a nonverbal cue to indicate that she wasn't very happy with the short answer that he gave, he completely missed it. After all, he barely had any social experience to speak of as it was - Rouge the Bat came the closest to that, and maybe Maria, but Maria had been over fifty years ago. Sure, those fifty years had been spent in stasis, but that part of himself felt far away for a reason. He gave short answers because those short answers happened to be the only ones he could give, and very little did he bother himself with complicating it further than that. He knew how to put on appearances, needing to be a translator for the Guardian Units of Nations, but those were formal situations, certainly not friendly conversations like the one Buttercup was attempting to pose with him.

He still wondered about that; she attempted to continue the conversation, the longest anyone tried to hold his attention. Most gave up at this point, although he figured that one out to be everyone simply being attracted to personalities that were more like Rouge's or Sonic's as opposed to his own. He'd even caught them speaking to Rouge about him as if she was his mouthpiece and he could not speak for himself. Not that it bothered him; he hardly cared what others thought about him in general. It just signified to him that generally speaking, they offered more comfort to talk to than someone like him. He barely needed socializing to function anyway, so he thought he knew enough. He never wanted to be the center of attention like they did.

In a way, it was kind of... Nice, that someone wanted to give him this much of a time of day. On the other, it placed Shadow in this increasingly difficult position of needing to look less boring than he actually was. And no, Shadow wasn't under any delusion that he wasn't boring; he spoke like a robot, he acted like a robot, he practically was one and the general public associated robots with being cool only for their abilities rather than their conversational skills. For Shadow, for the most part, those abilities were enough to get him by. But here, those abilities offered him no recourse. Conversations with him wound up short at best, and yet here she pushed and she pushed. She was the type of personality, he supposed. It again reminded him of Sonic, though he also kept to his own friend circle and didn't usually approach him first.

Usually, anyway.

What struck Shadow as especially odd was the deeply personal nature of the question that she asked. She exposed a bit of vulnerability about her sisters, and... He wasn't sure what to make of that. Did she not think that he could use that information against her? And now she was asking for some of it in return. And it was strange, feeling self conscious about the answer; obviously she was the more sociable type. But he wasn't. Which meant that the answer was a 'no'. No friends. Just clients. But... Would she look down upon him for that?

Why did he even care?

Quickly closing himself off a bit, he crossed his arms and huffed. ❝I have no need for any,❞ he murmured flatly. Defensiveness at its finest, though he didn't recognize it as such. He was just stating a fact. ❝I haven't been here long, but even if it's of greater permanence than I plan it to be, there's no need for me to hold hands with anyone.❞ He was the Ultimate Life Form, after all! He had everything he needed as it was.

@BUTTERCUP, no worries! length ain't important to me

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll