welcome to goss!
Countless intangible veils separate all universes from each other - and from ours. The fabric of space and time is at its faintest, like gossamer, at these proximate points we share with all other realities. Interdimensional castaways are drawn to safety and arrive on a train in our core world, Hialao. The train system also serves as our lifeblood by connecting five other worlds to Hialao.

With the dimensional displacements not yet showing signs of slowing, and research forever futile on how to leave (besides those who simply vanish, falling back through the invisible curtain), it's impossible to say who might arrive and how they might shape this fragile series of lands, eras and cultures. Good luck out there.

Our application template was made by Juliannacodes exclusively for Gossamer. Thanks to kismet for the sidebar cookie script. Icons courtesy of Ionicons. Banner art by Pixiv user ID #122500. Free pixel icon resources sourced from various places such as pvstels, 7soul1, The Infamous Bon Bon, neonvamp, and more.

Site premise was formed by the original staff of Gossamer - Alida, Prince, Rebecca, Morgan, and Tera, who created the dimensions of Elestis, Hialao, Parse, Barrows, and Wildewall, respectively. Additionally, Tethya was the result of a site event and was created by a former member, Velvet.

Gossamer's genre-based multi-world concept must not be duplicated or mirrored elsewhere without express permission from the current owner and staff. Member-made content belongs to its respective creators. DO NOT RIP, INSPIRE, RECREATE, OR STEAL ANY PART OF THIS SITE.

GOSSAMER
PANFANDOM ANIMATION & ILLUSTRATION . JCINK PREMIUM . 3 YEARS OLD
REGISTER IN ALL CAPS!

Closed
New Poll

IV. THE FAQ
DAE
LIFE AS WE KNOW WOULD BE SO DIFFERENT HAD OUR PATHS CONTINUED THE SAME. THE ROAD IS OPEN; WE FIND OUR WAY THROUGH TIES WHERE BROKEN. TO MOVE ALONG FROM WHERE WE'D BEEN, I'LL SING THIS SONG FOR YOU AGAIN. I'M LOOKING UP AROUND THE BEND; WE'RE SO MUCH STRONGER THAN BEFORE, OUR FRAYING EDGES ON THE MEND.
GEMSTONES
AMETHYST
SITE ADMIN
DAE (HE / HIM)
HE / HIM
THE FAQ
Hey, so I'm confused about-
Before you ask any questions, have you finished reading everything yet? Most of the questions that come in can easily be answered by just looking over all of the important information that we have on the site. We recommend reading all the threads in the "start here" forum, what's below in this FAQ, searching the answered topics in the "inquiries" forum, and our application topics. You might just find the answer yourself! However, if you still have questions, feel free to either ask the staff (by PM or in the Cbox if we're around) or post an inquiry.

Can I play ___ character? I'm not sure if they'd be allowed here.
This is one of the most common questions we get, and as a result, we have a separate thread for it in our guest-friendly inquiries area, found here. Also, see the following Q & A:

Are there any types of animated characters that are not permitted on Gossamer?
Yes. These will be judged on a case-by-case basis. For now, series with inappropriate humour (the likes of South Park, Family Guy, American Dad, Archer, and The Simpsons) will not be allowed. This also applies to children's shows that are too cartoonish or simple (acceptable cartoons include ones like Adventure Time, Over the Garden Wall, Steven Universe, and Gravity Falls).

Additionally, if a character is too 'minor', we can't have them here. They need to play some sort of role in the story they're a part of -- so they can't be just some on-the-side character who has very little backstory and personality. Also, characters need to be sentient. This does not exclude animal-type characters, but they do need to be intelligent and complex (think Toothless from How to Train Your Dragon). Lastly, 'blank slate' type characters, 'silent protagonists', or heavily customisable characters, are not allowed for now -- this really varies from series to series, so again, please be sure to ask first.

Can I join if I am under 18 years of age?
You may. We do not have a restriction in this regard, as long as you and your fellow roleplayers are aware of your age if you are to be writing any mature themes.

Oops! I messed up my name when I registered. How do I fix it?
Up in the top right corner of the page is a button that says “My Controls”. Under the section “Personal Profile” you can use the “Change Username” feature to change your name. Be aware that if you are trying to simply change your name to all caps, you will need to add a period or extra letter before you can change it to the proper name. If you’re still confused about how to do it, or you simply don’t want to mess up something, the admins will be more than happy to fix it for you if you shoot a pm their way!

Once my app is accepted, can I plot and RP straight away? What claims do I need to post in?
Not straight away, but very soon! You will need to post your claims in our canon list, directory, and occupation list (unless your character has no job). We also expect you to fill out the various fields in your character's profile (icons, alias, age, fandom, app link, pronouns, etc) by then so that everything is complete and ready to go! Then, we'll change your usergroup and you'll be ready to go.

I have such a good idea for an original character. Can I make them?
The short answer is no, you can’t. Original characters, aside from not truly fitting in with the premise we have on site, would cause a bit of confusion with the canon list. We don’t have any face claims that are being used, and any faces that could be used are most likely going to be used by a potential character on site. It’s best to just not have any original characters. There are so many canon characters that there is plenty chance to make a character that will interest you!

To what extent do I need to stick to all the canon info on my character? Can they just do their own thing if they've been away from their own world for a long time?
For the most part, yes, you still need to stick with the canon information, especially when first applying them. Up until they are taken from their world, all the history and interaction remains the same. None of those will change. However, once they come to this dimension to live, character development and interfandom relationships are of course going to happen; as long as you do not ignore or change past canon information, relationships, etc. you can do what you wish once your character's application has been approved.

What about headcanons? Can I add those in my app, especially if some things just aren't known about my character (age, orientation, attributes, personality quirks, history, etc)?
Absolutely, you may. There are a lot of really great series that provide adequate information about a character for them to be characterised and written through RP, but not enough for things like their habits, past experiences, or personal preferences. You're welcome to elaborate on any of this as long as it does not contradict anything that has happened to them in canon.

Are there currently any limits or bans regarding the gender or usergroup of a character I make?
None at all, and we don't expect there to be in the future. Just keep our ratios in mind, but make whatever sort of character you like!

How do time and timelines work in Gossamer?
Firstly, the 'timezone' is the same between all the dimensions, and runs on a normal 24-hour pattern (though the amount of daylight present in each dimension depends on its setup, e.g. Parse's lighting is controlled entirely by BIOS). Secondly, the years run on a 365-day cycle and are noted as "XX16", for example, for 2016, and we can casually say that time passes at the same rate in the dimensions as it does in real life for us. Thirdly, when we're talking about those specific timelines in RP, be as fluid as you like. We don't have any set dates, months or seasons running, and if you like, you can simultaneously have threads that occur months apart.

Language and translation - how does that work if different characters speak different languages?
We can say that the 'magic' of the multiverse generally does an instant translation of all spoken language for the listener, but it's imperfect and can be influenced by multiple factors, including the languages in question, the coherency of the speaker, and what they're trying to say. Written language, however, does not translate.

Where does my character end up when they're pulled into this world?
All characters are first pulled onto a train that is heading towards the central dimension of Hialao. From there, your character will have a choice to stay in Hialao or move to one of the other six dimensions that fits them the best.

If I pull my character from the end of their known canon, can I age them up a little?
You may! However, don't go overboard. A year or two is fine, but don't make them much more older than that if we have no idea what happened to them in that time.

How does travel between dimensions work, exactly?
Each world has a sort of train station that connects back to Hialao, the central dimension, and out to the rest of them. If you wanted to get to Parse from Wildewall, you would need to first travel to Hialao and make the switch. The trains move through dimensional “tears”, for lack of a better term. Trains run between Hialao and all the other dimensions in the early morning to suit travel both ways (i.e. all trains from the non-Hialao dimensions leaving for Hialao at 8 AM, and then another set of trains going from Hialao outwards around 9 AM). The same would happen in reverse late at night -- with one set of trains going from everywhere into Hialao at 7PM, and then another set departing from Hialao at 8PM.

So is my character stuck in the dimension they live? Or are they allowed to move freely?
Thanks to the trains, your character is fully allowed to travel to any dimension they please! However, they are unable to live anywhere else other than the place they first chose, unless they have the money and desire to buy a new house elsewhere. Traveling for visitation, however, is very much allowed. Just be realistic about it. All characters can only travel by trains, and the trains only run in the early morning and evening.

Can I start up a big plot that could influence the overall site and cause trouble or change in more than one dimension, or do I need staff approval for that?
It depends. Please ask us! Chances are most things will be A-OK for you to go ahead with; the whole point of Gossamer is for all the various character interactions and discrepancies to launch a bit of chaos and confusion. c:

How does currency work with moving around in the different dimensions?
Each dimension, at the train station, has a place where currency can be exchanged for the dimension’s currency. You must exchange the money in order to use it elsewhere and you must exchange it again when you return home.

My character is a drifter; how do jobs work with them, exactly?
Drifters are frowned upon by many of the governments of the dimensions for the fact that they are not actively helping any one dimension. For that reason, drifters cannot have a job that requires them to be there at all times. However, they do not have to be unemployed. They can be mercenaries, hired hands, or even do a few jobs secretly. After all, they still need money like anyone else.

I don't want my character to live in the dimension I chose originally. Can I move them to another one?
Yes and no. No, you may not do it right away. In real life, do you just move to a new house because you get bored with your current one? No, you don’t. Your character must save up enough money to buy a new house in a new dimension. So yes, they can move after awhile, but it won’t happen right away.

Is character death allowed here / is it possible for my character to be killed off?
No, it’s not. It becomes awkward if a character is killed, then someone comes onto the site to pick them up. For sake of avoiding unnecessary confusion, you are not allowed to kill off your character. Instead, if a character is dropped/goes inactive, they disappear in board canon, leaving behind any impact they had on other characters/places but no longer being in the setting. It's assumed that these characters find a way back to their canon world, but there's no real way to know.

I want my character to have a child; is that possible to do?
No. Because children will classify as original characters, we are not allowing any characters to have children. They are more than welcome to try, but they are not allowed on site. Conception is impossible in the multiverse, although characters do otherwise naturally age and go through physiological changes (though at a slower rate than normal). In the alternate universe board, however, feel free to have as many children as you would like.

Is my character limited to one job, or are they allowed to do more than one?
Characters are absolutely allowed to have more than one job! It’s only natural that if someone wanted to save up enough money to live well, pay their bills, etc. they would more than likely have more than one job. Try not to have your character working too many jobs to where it is unrealistic, but feel free to go wild.

I had an old starter for an open thread where the character that replied to it was dropped. Can I just repost that starter without rewriting it, to open it up again to someone else?
Absolutely! Characters get dropped all the time. If you had a fondness to what you wrote, or simply want to use it to better potential than what was given, feel free to post it again.

I had interactions and plots with a character that was dropped. It's being picked up by someone else now; can I have those same plots with the new player?
That depends on whoever picks up the character. Feel free to pose the plot ideas to the new player in their plot page, over PM, etc. If they’re all for it, then that’s great! If they don’t like the ideas and would prefer to do something else, then don’t force them. It’s up to them at that point. Simply say thank you for considering it and move on.

Someone is playing a character that I am familiar with and they're doing some things wrong! Do something about it!
Things like this are bound to happen. The staff only know so many fandoms and so many characters - we’re bound to get a few things wrong. If you notice something off about a character, please be polite and simply contact staff by PM. Do not confront the person directly and do not make a fuss in the cbox. Just alert us to it and we'll take it from there.

DAE
LIFE AS WE KNOW WOULD BE SO DIFFERENT HAD OUR PATHS CONTINUED THE SAME. THE ROAD IS OPEN; WE FIND OUR WAY THROUGH TIES WHERE BROKEN. TO MOVE ALONG FROM WHERE WE'D BEEN, I'LL SING THIS SONG FOR YOU AGAIN. I'M LOOKING UP AROUND THE BEND; WE'RE SO MUCH STRONGER THAN BEFORE, OUR FRAYING EDGES ON THE MEND.
GEMSTONES
AMETHYST
SITE ADMIN
DAE (HE / HIM)
HE / HIM
CHARACTER FAQS
Sourced from many questions we've received in the past, some in our official topic for character inquiries. The most current version of that one is here; ask if you can't find your question answered below or elsewhere on the forum.

HOW IS WRITTEN MATERIAL HANDLED ALONGSIDE ANIMATED/ILLUSTRATED MATERIAL, IF A CHARACTER BELONGS TO BOTH?
Best to ask on a per case basis, but it's basically like this: if a character originally only appears in a novel or story, then they are not allowed on Goss, UNLESS there is an animated spinoff or retelling which has become more popular; for example, some Ghibli movies, like Howl's Moving Castle, or the video games for The Witcher. If it's the animation/comics which come first, and then extra material appeared later, then that material can be mentioned or incorporated into your depiction of the character, as long as it doesn't dominate; their canon point also cannot be from anywhere within the novel/written story.

WHAT DO I DO IF THERE'S A CHARACTER ALREADY ON BOARD WITH AN IDENTICAL NAME (BUT IS A TOTALLY DIFFERENT PERSON) TO THE ONE I WANT TO APP?
In this case, you're free to try to find an alternate name, if they go by one -- e.g. a nickname, a rarely-used surname, or a title or place of origin. If unsure, ask us and we can come up with something suitable! <3

WHAT DO I REGISTER AS IF MY CHARACTER HAS SEVERAL POSSIBLE NAMES?
You can choose what you would rather go with, or ask if you are unsure. It's fine to go by the name they most often go by, or their official/full name. A common example: with Bucky from Marvel, we've had both 'Bucky Barnes' or 'James Buchanan Barnes', as either is fine.

ARE CHARACTERS FROM MONSTER HIGH ALLOWED?
Totally. Their origins may have been in toys, but they have movies and a full web series, so they are animation based. However, remember that if there's not enough information to go off of, we won't allow you to headcanon the whole character. We need to be provided with personality and history on SOME kind of online source.

ARE HOMESTUCK CHARACTERS ALLOWED?
Absolutely, go for it! Just keep their powers in mind and don't go full god-tier, haha.

WOULD KYUBEY FROM PMMM BE ALLOWED?
Yep, don't unleash Kyubey hell on us~

CAN I PLAY A CHARACTER FROM HETALIA WHO DOESN'T HAVE A CANON NAME, OR IS GENDERBENT?
Unfortunately not. We'd like only the canon genders, and the characters with official names, as the ones who haven't been given official names often are too minor for us to be comfortable with anyway.

CAN I PLAY THE INQUISITOR FROM DRAGON AGE?
No. The degree of customisable race, appearance, and other factors makes this role too variable and uncertain.

CAN I PLAY GLADOS?
No. Her form is fixed and non-human, and we don't allow personifications, or human forms of characters who don't have them in canon.

CAN I PLAY A FUSION FROM STEVEN UNIVERSE?
Only if it's Garnet. All other fusions can only exist in their individual, unfused forms (except for Ruby and Sapphire, whom we'd prefer to only exist on Goss fused). You can play out fusions through RP for plot-related purposes, though (making sure not to powerplay, since they're so strong)!

WHAT IS THE YOUNGEST AGE YOU'LL ALLOW?
We're going to draw the line at characters being 10.

ARE CHARACTERS WITH DISSOCIATIVE IDENTITIES / SPLIT PERSONALITIES ALLOWED?
Yes. They should be played under the one account. It can get complicated in some circumstances if they have completely different names and significantly different appearances, so in those cases, ask and we'll look over it.

CAN I WRITE A CHARACTER FROM MONTHS OR YEARS AFTER THEIR CANON TIMELINE?
You can, up to a maximum of 2 years. Otherwise if it was too far down the track, they would have done too many things that rely on your own headcanon, and they might even look different due to older age.

CAN MY CHARACTER KEEP THEIR SKILLS FOR MANIPULATING TIME OR SPACE?
Yes, but they will be extremely limited; absolutely no unassisted transport or teleportation between dimensions, no creation or rifts or the like; significant alteration of the fabric of space is impossible, and when not impossible, a crime of the highest order. The multiverse is currently too unstable to allow for such things. So only small-scale stuff.

IF MY CHARACTER, OR AN ABILITY POSSESSED BY MY CHARACTER IS NORMALLY INVISIBLE TO THE MAJORITY OF OTHERS, WILL THEY BE VISIBLE ALL THE TIME IN GOSSAMER?
Yes. Whether they're a ghost, spirit, or have some property which makes them or their abilities, in their own canon, invisible or nonexistent to certain groups of people, that is nullified here. Note that this is not the same as a character who has powers for temporary invisibility or glamour.

CAN I PLAY A CHARACTER FROM AN ANIMATED MUSIC VIDEO OR MUSICAL MEDIA?
Sorry, but no. This include Vocaloids, Sound Horizon characters, and cast members from animated music videos.

WHAT COUNTS AS A SILENT PROTAGONIST?
If they're officially stated as a silent protag or described as such in their wiki page, they're immediately out of the question (e.g. Link from Zelda, IB from IB, Frisk from Undertale); as well, any character that does not have a character model, even if they DO speak, is not allowed (e.g. Daniel from Amnesia). If a character's dialogue and choices are too vast as well, we may not allow them. We have allowed the Hawkes from Dragon Age as well as the Shepards from Mass Effect, and Robin and Corrin from Fire Emblem, granted their players go with the most well-known or default appearances. A character like the Dovakhiin, however, would not be allowed.

IS A GIANT CHARACTER ALLOWED?
The issue with this is that they'd need to fit on a train to get here. Trains can be pretty big, and we've gotten several dragons on them. However if a character is TOO big, we won't allow it, but this is case by case, so ask us! We're putting a relative cap on height at about 30' tall; everyone above that is considered too big to fit on to the trains. Characters that are under 30', but are still rather large, are transported in a way rather like being stored in a Pokeball for the duration of the journey. Hooray for magic!

MY CHARACTER SUMMONS, OR IS ACCOMPANIED BY, A CREATURE/PERSON THAT HAS MEMORIES/INDIVIDUAL BEHAVIOUR/ETC. WOULD THEY BE A SEPARATE CHARACTER OR PLAYED ALONGSIDE MY OWN?
Characters may be accompanied by any NPC-type being that would not be a properly playable character in their own right. Sometimes it's also a case-by-case basis and it depends on the character. Please ask!

CAN PERSONA CHARACTERS SUMMON THEIR PERSONAS?
Yes, characters are able to summon their Personas in any dimension as long as they have the necessary means and/or equipment to do so. For example, the Persona 3 characters require that their Evoker guns be brought to Goss with them.

DO DIGIMON AND THEIR HUMAN PARTNERS COUNT AS SEPARATE CHARACTERS?
In a few cases, yes - please ask to check. What this means, though, is that a sole Digimon's Digivolution would work a little differently; it would be a more natural process influenced by the environment. Parse, being the most technological, would be the best place for a Digimon to stay; Hialao and Barrows, having more modern technology, are good for travel too. A Digimon would still exist in Wildewall, Tethya or Elestis, but would be much weaker and not able to evolve.

CAN I PLAY A POKEMON?
Only specific ones are allowed. If unsure, please ask. these mainly include ones who are capable of speech or very high intelligence, such as Team Rocket's Meowth, and those who show up in the movies (Mewtwo, Mew, Entei, Lucario, etc), or certain major characters from the Mystery Dungeon games, who exhibit detailed personalities and the ability to converse (Gardevoir, Dusknoir, Hydreigon, etc).

CAN I PLAY ONE OF THE BIRDS FROM HATOFUL BOYFRIEND?
No sorry! Though it does fall under the otome game category, which we often allow, the fact they're depicted as actual birds makes things weird -- as they're not exactly animated -- plus the parody aspects of that feature itself.

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Closed
New Poll